Gnocchi is a potato based dumpling shaped like a knuckle filled with Gorgonzola, poached and fried in clarified butter and tossed in an oven dried tomato based paste including toasted garlic and pine nuts, Parmesan and olive oil. This is served with a parsley flavoured Parmesan tuille.
This is a vegetarian dish, usually served as an entree in Italian menus or may also be served as accompaniments to meat. The original version of the sauce is ground with mortar and pestle or blended in a blender.
Standard Recipe Card
Yield: 1 portion
Potato 150 gm
Egg yolk 1 no
Nutmeg powder ½ tsp
Durum semolina/ all purpose flour 50 gm
Salted water as reqd
Gorgonzola cheese 25 gm
Oven dried tomato 100 gm
Pinenuts 10 gm
Roasted garlic 1 clove
Olive oil 3 tbsp
Parsley parmesan Wafer
Grated parmesan 2 tbsp
Parsley leaf 1 leaf
- Prepare the oven dried tomato by placing quartered tomatoes marinated with olive oil, sea salt, a sprig of thyme in a preheated oven at 90°C for 4-5 hrs. Till dry.
- Toast pine nuts in a slow heat till golden brown colour.
- Pan-fry garlic clove to a golden brown colour to obtain a smoky flavour.
- Blend together all the above prepared components together along with olive oil to get a smooth paste.
- Boil potatoes starting with cold water till the potatoes are very soft.
- On a sanitized working table, peel the cooked potato, mash them very quickly without allowing them to cool down with a masher, when quite hot, add flour, egg yolk and nutmeg and combine together very quickly to a dough.
- Roll the dough to a long rope about 20mm thick and even.
- Cut at even lengths (app. 25mm.), dust some flour on the table, flour the back of the fork and place a knob of dumpling on the back of the fork and press the top edge, to create a space inside, place a small blob of gorgonzola and roll outwards to shape like a folded fist. The cheese should be stuffed in the dumpling.
- Preheat water to a poaching temperature, salt to season and then drop in the dumplings to the bottom of the pan.
- In a couple of minutes when the dumplings float on the surface of the water take them out with a slotted spoon on to a pan with clarified butter. Fry for about two minutes to get a golden brown colour.
- In another pan place two spoonfuls of pesto and add the cooked gnoochi and combine together.
- Present in a plate the gnoochi with tomato pesto with a garnish of deep fried basil and the parmesan wafer and serve warm.
Note: To make the wafer, spread a thin layer of grated parmesan on a silicon mat and place in a preheated oven at 160°C till the cheese melts and changes colour. This will take about 12 min. When the cheese has melted, place the leaf of parsley to give a design. Take it out of the oven and the wafer becomes crisp.