I often like to take the challenge of exploring unconventional flavours and introducing people to new food trends, so here comes another one…Baked Cheese Cake with Salted Caramel Popcorn.
So what is Caramel? Caramel is a dark brown liquid which can be used as a flavouring agent in desserts and can also be used as a filling and topping. The process of sugar molecules breaking down and re-forming into compounds when heated creating a characteristic nutty flavour and brown colour is known as Caramelization.
Salted Caramel is made by boiling sugar until it turns light brown in colour, with the addition of cream, butter &vanilla. This is stirred until smooth and velvety, as this is a Salted Caramel fleur de sel it is generously seasoned with fleur de sel(sea salt). As it cools, the mixture thickens making it easier to work with. One point to keep in mind when making a Caramel Sauce is to never touch it with your hands when its hot as the sugar can burn your skin.
This amazing confectionery when drizzled over a classic cheese cake before baking, triggers the taste buds and takes it to another level of satiety.
Baked Cheese cake with Salted Caramel Popcorn
Baking Temp: 140*C for 30 min
Portion size: 18cmx18cm square ring
|For Cheese Cake Batter
|Philadelphia cream cheese||340gm|
|For Salted Caramel
For the Base
- Crush digestive biscuits with rolling pin and keep the biscuits in a mixing bowl
- Pour in the melted butter and mix well to form a crumble.
- Put this crumble onto a lined ring and press evenly and set in freezer.
For the Cheese Cake Batter
- Place cream cheese, castor sugar, vanilla and flour into bowl and cream till nice and smooth.
- Add in the whole egg and yolk, slowly one at a time, mix well.
- Finish with the cream.
- Pour the batter over the cheese cake base into the ring, swirl some caramel in the batter. and bake at 140*c in Baine Marie.
For the Salted Caramel
- Make a caramel with glucose and sugar, add butter and hot cream and mix to combine, add salt and cool at room temperature.